Superstorm Sandy uprooted families and lives in Oceanport and now it's rearranged the district's school calendar.
The Oceanport Board of Education approved a revised calendar last week that incorporates extra days to make for time missed when both schools were closed for two weeks following Sandy.
"This was an unprecedented storm and its effect on how many days of school were closed was monumental," said Superintendent of Schools Andrew Orefice in a letter sent home to parents. Given the impact on schools throughout the state in terms of days missed, there were few options as to when to reschedule the missed days."
Spring break has been reduced to a long weekend, with Good Friday and the Monday after Easter the remaining days off, and graduations for both kindergarten and eighth grade have been pushed back to recoup an extra day required for the district.
The eight additional school days are as follows:
- Monday, January 21, 2013 (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day): Half Day of School- with the focus on a “Day of Service” throughout the district and assembly program (1)
- Monday, February 18, 2013 (Presider1ts’ Day): Regular Day of School (2)
- Tuesday, April 2, 2013 (Second day of Spring Break): Regular Day of School (3)
- Wednesday, April 3, 2013 (Third day of Spring Break): Regular Day of School (4)
- Thursdav, April 4, 2013 (Fourth day of Spring Break): Regular Day of School (5)
- Friday, April 5, 2013 (Fifth day of Spring Break): Regular Day of School (6)
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013 (Additional Day): Half Day of School (7)
- Wednesday, June 19, 2013 (Additional Day): Half Day of School (8)
The eighth grade will now graduate on Monday, June 17 and the kindergarten's graduation will be held on Tuesday, June 18.
June 13 and 14, half days on the district's original calendar, will now be expanded to full days. Any snow days the district needs to be used will be tacked onto the end of the year, June 20 and 21.