The Borough of Oceanport has received almost $1.5 million from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for cleaning up and rebuilding after Sandy.
The borough received $1.485 million earlier this month, according to Borough Administrator Kim Jungfer, which was part of FEMA's $780 million in disaster assistance approved to speed recovery in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
The borough council appropriated $400,000 toward cleanup and recovery at its Jan. 17 meeting, which brought the total amount of emergency funds appropriated to $1.8 million.
Jungfer said that the borough was still working with FEMA to submit necessary paperwork for additional funding. She said that on top of the mounds of debris that needed to be removed following the storm, three borough-owned structures sustained damage requiring repair. Oceanport buildings damaged were borough hall, public works and Old Wharf.
Borough Hall reopened its administrative offices earlier this month but the library and municipal court, on either end of the building, remain closed to the public.
The borough's first aid building was also damaged by flooding during Sandy but that is a privately-owned structure, said Jungfer.