An update from Little Silver Mayor Robert C. Neff, Jr. on plans in place for Hurricane Sandy:
Little Silver continues to prepare for Sandy’s arrival and accompanying flooding and high winds, and advises residents as follows:
- Residents in low-lying and flood prone areas are encouraged to voluntarily evacuate.
- Watch for Two River Alert updates and instructions.
- Periodically check the borough website, which will post alerts and updates, and contains hurricane and storm preparation guidelines.
- Local schools and Red Bank Regional are closed Monday and Tuesday
- Cars may be moved at the owner’s risk to the large Little Silver Train Station parking lot.
- Instructions for contacting JCP&L in the event of a power outage are on the borough’s website. The police department will not have information about power outages.
- Public Works continues to remove leaves and brush from around storm drains where possible. They will not reach every storm drain, so where possible please assist by refraining from raking leaves or brush into street, and by pulling back piles where possible.
- Only those who are ordered to evacuate will be eligible stay at a shelter, and will need to go through a prescreening process locally before the county will accept that resident. Further information will be posted should mandatory evacuations be ordered in Little Silver.
- Recycling pickup has been suspended for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Trash pick up for Monday and Tuesday has also been suspended.
- The borough has set up an emergency command post in borough hall, and is in contact with state and county emergency officials. As information becomes available, it will be posted on the website and communicated by the Two River Alert system.
This is forecast to be a serious storm. As it approaches, please use caution, reach out to neighbors, friends, or others who may need assistance, and obey all signs advising of road closures or other conditions when driving.