It isn't St. Patrick's Day without corned beef and cabbage, but if you're Irish at heart and not by blood it can be easy to shy away from cooking ethnic food.
Here is the easiest way to cook up the delicious, traditional St. Patty's Day dinner. No one needs to know that your "Grandma Sinead" didn't teach you how to make it!
- 2-3 lb. Corned Beef Brisket with spice package
- small head of cabbage
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1/2 lb. baby carrots
- 4 red-skinned potatoes
- Place corned beef fat side up in a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring water to a boil and add the contents of the spice package.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered; one hour per pound.
- While the corned beef is cooking, cut the cabbage into six pieces, quarter the onion, and peel and quarter the potatoes.
- Remove the corned beef from the pot. Skim the fat off the top of the water and dispose of it.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, onion, and cabbage to the broth and cook for approximately 30 minutes.
- Then, place the corned beef back into the broth and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Remove the meat and vegetables from the pot and serve on a platter. Be sure to slice the corned beef against the grain.