In less than 30 days, school will let your children loose for another summer and 60 consecutive days of unstructured time. If that leaves you twitching, here are a few camp tips to help break up the time:
- The String Studio of Monmouth County, located in Oceanport is offering violin camp for beginners. The week long morning camp is designed to teach basic violin skills in a fun, and supportive atmosphere. Students learn basic set up and to read and play simple notation, with the goal of playing one or more simple songs by the end of the week. Ages 6-9, no experience needed. Instruments available. Weekday mornings, July 9 - 14, $365. The studio also offers piano, intermediate strings and music enrichment camps.
- Canvas Studio Art in Rumson is offering more than 15 different camps for kids including instruction in: jewelry, still life, clay figures, found art, even pinatas. Canvas Camps run as one-week sessions, Monday through Friday, 9am – noon, June 25 – August 31, 2012. Our theme-based camps provide an enriching environment in which children & teens work in a variety of media. Our instructors are professional artists & art educators who are carefully chosen for their energy & experience with children. All Canvas Camps are $225 per week and all materials will be provided unless otherwise noted.
- Taste & Technique Cooking Studio in Fair Haven has several different cooking camps to choose from but we zeroed in on the "Best of the Food Network" where kids ages 7 and up learn how to re-create recipes from their favorite TV chefs. July 9 - 13, 11 - 1 p.m., $200. You can also design your own summer camo, just grab 10 of your friends who like to cook and The Taste & Technique Cooking Studio team will assist you in planning your own unique experience.
- Monmouth County Parks System continues to offer a wide variety of camps, including Drum Line. Kids entering grades five and six (you know, the ones who are always tapping a pencil and banging on the pots) can become percussionists. Students will make a practice pad, use a simple drum and learn the drum rudiments they and their fellow campers form a drum line. July 16-20 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., $225.
- For the young angler, the Parks System offers Fishing Monmouth County, for ages 13-15. Teens will enjoy five days of fishing throughout Monmouth County on a charter boat, from a row boat and from the shore. Bring your rod, tackle box and lunch. Two Monday through Friday camps are available, one in July, one in August, $325.
- Small Factory Productions in Fair Haven claymation, sports talk radio, improv, video and music production, puppet theater and more with one week camps ranging from $160-$300. Camps run Monday through Friday at various time for about 1.5 hours. If you create a camp time that works for you, you get 50 percent off.
- sports camps offer instruction in baseball, softball, basketball, lacrosse, cross country and more. You can see the complete schedule here. Individual day camps range from $50-$100 and week long camps run about $250.
- Falcon Sports Camps held at will offer soccer, cheer, football, field hockey, wrestling, softball and basketball, from $50-$130.
- Garden State Players’ will offer its first summer theater camp this year for students entering grades 5-12. $300, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays through the months of July and August on stage at Lillian Drive School, Hazlet. Daytime television actor and Red Bank Regional grad Brian Gaskill will direct the camp where students will learn about audition techniques, character development, monologue and scene preparation, and more. Weekly sessions will culminate in a performance for family and friends on Friday afternoons.
- The Community YMCA in Red Bank offers half and full day camp programs, featuring sports, crafts, playground games and swimming, $160-$290 a week. The program is open to children 5-12 years old. The Y also offers outdoor, arts specialty and special needs camps at various locations around the county.
Did you miss Patch's guide to summer camp on the water? Check it out here.