In the wake of the bombings at the Boston Marathon last month, no bags will be allowed at the finish line of the New Jersey Marathon in Long Branch on Sunday, May 5.
Here is the protocol for spectators at the finish line.
• NOT ALLOWED to bring backpacks, pocketbooks, hand bags, shoulder bags, etc. of any kind into the finish line festival area.
• ALLOWED to stand directly beside the barricades of the finish line chutes in the finish line festival area between Greeley Terrace and Madison Ave. only.
• NOT ALLOWED access to the barricades beside the finish line approach between Madison Ave. and Laird St. in Pier Village (behind the Ocean Place Resort and Spa).
• ALLOWED to walk around Pier Village (access to the east end of the village will be on foot only).
Strollers will be allowed at the Finish Line Festival Area. However, spectators are not allowed to bring a bag of any kind into this secure area along with the stroller. This restriction is the same as the Start Line at Monmouth Park. Pockets of strollers will also be subject to searches.
Here is the protocol for race participants wearing visible bibs:
• Will be allowed to retrieve one clear plastic Race Day Gear Bag from the retrieval area. The retrieval area will be monitored and the bag tags may be checked against the bib #s as you exit the area.
• Will be able to change clothes from the Race Day Gear Bag in the changing tent within the bag retrieval area. Empty gear bags should be discarded as directed.
• Should not leave their Race Day Gear Bag unattended at any time.
• May carry their Race Day Gear Bag around with them in the finish line festival area as long as they only carry that particular bag, with no bag inside it. If you take your bib off you must leave the finish line festival area.
For more information on the New Jersey Marathon and related events, click here.