Sandy Evacuees Moving to Fort Monmouth
Many displaced by the storm and in need of long term, temporary housing could be settling into the former military base by the end of the week.
Hundreds of New Jerseyans displaced by the ravages of Hurricane Sandy will be relocated to temporary housing on Fort Monmouth by the end of the week, Gov. Chris Christie announced Monday.
The former military base could house between 400 to 600 families, according to NJ.com.
Oceanport Mayor Michael Mahon told Patch that those who sought shelter in the giant tents in the Monmouth Park parking lot will be relocated to the empty fort property, and many in the Oceanport section.
"It's an excellent opportunity to play host to those folks displaced by the hurricane. We welcome them," Mahon said.
Although buildings on the fort have been "mothballed," the mayor said that once utilities are restored the housing should serve as a "solid solution for interim housing."
"We'll work with the state and home communities to provide the services that they need," Mahon said.
In recent days there had been a public outcry to open the fort to now homeless residents, with Eatontown's Mayor Gerald Tarantolo among those pushing to open the former Army post. State inspectors toured the fort this week before making the decision.