Oceanport Post Sandy: What You Need to Know Today
Details change daily in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Check here for the latest updates each day.
Saturday, Nov. 3:
- Donations to the Oceanport relief effort can be sent to OSF-Hurricane Sandy PO Box 370 Oceanport, NJ 07757
- Mrs. Mastriana, fourth grader teacher at Wolf Hill is organizing school supply donations for storm victims. Bring supplies to Wolf Hill School: "You know that excited feeling you get when you start a new school year with a new backpack filled with new school supplies. Parents you know how expensive it is to buy all of that "back-to-school" stuff. I would like to start collecting donations for the area where I teach - Sea Bright, Oceanport, West Long Branch, Monmouth Beach ... And any other shore schools I can help. Please private message me for my address and let's get this going! I am thinking backpacks, binders, calculators..."
- If you need to file your FEMA claim, get to the Maple Place shelter where computers and internet will be available. You can also stay warm, get a bite to eat, sleep on a cot, even read a magazine or play a board game.
- If you're looking to rebuild, the borough will walk you through the construction permit process. Mayor Michael Mahon said the borough would seek to lower the fees as much as possible and expedite the process. Contact: Sal Massaro at (732) 233-7611.
- Keep putting that trash out. Mayor Mahon says not to worry about what day it is or how much you have, just get that wet stuff to the curb before it creates mold in your home. Keep branches separate from household items and appliances.
- If you need to set aside destroyed items to photograph or show an insurance adjuster, do NOT put them at the curb yet. Mayor Mahon assured residents at a council meeting this week that crews will continue to collect garbage until it is all gone.
- Salad Shack in Long Branch is open for business. This is their Facebook post today: We are OPEN TODAY. Hello all Salad Shack friends. I hope and pray everyone is surviving the devastation of Sandy. Salad shack will be reopening today at 11 am so come in and enjoy a fresh salad or hot soup. Looking forward to seeing you.
Friday, Nov. 2:
- The county is providing free water, ice and food is available at Monmouth Park 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily. On Friday afternoon, a long line of vehicles snaked through the line off Oceanport Avenue to wait to have their provisions loaded by officers from the county sheriff and prosecutor's office.
- Oceanport Schools and Shore Regional will reopen Monday, Nov. 12.
- SAT's scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 3 are canceled.