"It is ALWAYS chaotic there!" commented one poster. "It is not surprising at all that this happened ... and I am shocked it didn't happen sooner!"
Another reader posted, "I was always worried about cars, buses and children trying to get into the school at the same time. I am amazed at how many parents spend their time and gas driving their kids to school when we have buses scheduled for every student."
As we cruise through the second half of the school year, perhaps it's a good time to brush up on the procedures for drop off at Maple Place each morning as outlined by the Oceanport Police Department on the school's Web site.
The police department asks that as drivers drop students off in the driveway area of Maple Place School near Shrewsbury Avenue:
- They pull forward up to door 3 (door closest to where the buses drop the students off),
- As vehicles pull in, the vehicles will form a line and drop students off at the curb,
- Please have your child exit the vehicle on the curb side as quickly as possible so that vehicles will not back up onto Shrewsbury Avenue causing a traffic hazard,
- All students will enter Door 3 for morning drop-off, o drive with extra care and awareness while in this area -- look for children as well as other vehicles/buses exiting the driveway,
- Please do not stop and let off children on Shrewsbury Avenue, block the entrance to the driveway, or double park to let off children within the driveway area,
- Buses will pull forward into the bus drop off area where students will walk into Door 3.