5 Things You Need to Know Today: Monday, March 5
A roundup of events and useful information for the good people of Oceanport and Little Silver.
- The temperature shuffle: The sun comes back out this week beginning today with temperatures in the mid-40s. According to the National Weather Service, the thermometer will continue to rise over the next few days and reaching the 60s by Thursday. Welcome to March.
- Not so fast: Before we plunge into what lays ahead, let's look over our colective shoulder for a brief moment. One of Little Silver' finest, er, skunks, learned a terrible lesson on Saturday that is a cautionary tale for the borough's two-legged residents. Click here to read the whole story and remember, Flower is back on the streets so keep your recyclables cleaned and contained.
- Batter up: If, like me, you have a garage filled with plastic tubs overflowing with bats, sticks, mitts, and pads -- all of indeterminate age and questionable sizing -- you can take heart that the third annual Little Silver Rec Rack is coming this weekend. You can gather all outgrown and unused equipment to drop off on Friday, March 9 from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Little Silver Woman's Club. On Saturday, shop for your family's changing sporting goods needs. Families donating on Friday will receive a coupon good for 20 percent off their entire Rec Rack purchase. Proceeds from the sale benefit the LS Recreation Foundation.
- Number crunching: The Oceanport Board of Education will introduce its tentative budget for the 2012-2013 year Monday at a special public workshop. The meeting starts at 7 p.m. in the Maple Place cafeteria.
- Freebie: Do you have a hard time passing up free stuff? You know, like the little samples they give you at Blue Mercury or the tasting carts on a Saturday at Costco? If you play it right, you can feed yourself and the whole family just by cruising the warehouse at lunchtime. So take note: Patch wants to give local businesses something for nothing.